Our Family

Our Family

Sunday, October 24, 2010

Childbirth Class

Yesterday was our childbirth class. I must say that I was not looking forward to it AT ALL! I'm not sure if I was opposed to it because it was allllll day long or because it was on my birthday or because I figure childbirth is natural and it will be fine. Either way, the only thing that excited me about it was that I would be able to be out for the whole day!

It turned out that it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, and it actually moved along well. No parts seemed to really lag. Some of the questions that I had were answered so that is always helpful. A few times in the class Joey and the guy in front of us would start laughing and had a hard time getting control of it. Of course, this would then make me laugh. I'm going to chalk it up to awkward laughing. Here we are sitting in a class filled with strangers watching birthing videos, talking about personal things, and practicing relaxation and breathing techniques.

At one point, I just knew we were going to be asked to leave. We were on the floor practicing our relaxation techniques. The calming music is playing and the person on the CD is talking in a very calm voice. I'm totally NOT in to this kind of thing. Then, she starts saying things like, "Imagine that your right arm is heavy...sooooooo heavy... you can barely lift it..." I roll my eyes at Joey and say, "Really?" That was all it took. He began laughing so hard that he had to hide his face in my pillow, which caused me to laugh. We couldn't gain the control back because once we thought we were back in control, she'd instruct us to imagine that another part of our body was heavy....sooooooo heavy...and it would start again. This probably does not seem as funny now, but it was then. Needless to say, I will not be practicing that relaxation method.

In other news, we go back to the doctor on Monday. I've got my list of questions for him. Next Monday we'll have our last sonogram. I cannot believe it's already here. I mean, we only have 4.5 weeks left. It is crazy!!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Oh I totally know what you mean! I would have been cracking up as well! We did the Bradley classes, which preach the all-natural, midwife-loving sort of thing and came out of most classes rolling our eyes at a lot of it. I went the natural route (in a hospital with a regular dr.) for childbirth but some of the stuff in the class was just over the top. I hope you get the delivery just as you want it: drugs/no drugs, heavy arms/light arms... Whatever you want for you and Karaline!

    ReplyDelete